Sunday, July 26, 2009

in the jungle

...the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight. Ok, I mean my baby sleeps tonight. Well, he sleeps every night for a week!

I took Reed to his two month doctors appointment on Monday (where he weighed in at 13 pounds 3 ounces!) and the pediatrician asked me if he was sleeping through the night. I told him that Reed has been waking up just once in the night, sometime between 2:30 and 4am. I then asked Dr. Pruitt how I can get him to sleep through the night. His response: let him cry. So I spent the rest of the day prepping myself for letting him cry when he woke up that night. Side note, he told me I could have caffeine so I promptly went out and got me a fountain coke, which I haven't had for a year and it was glorious. Ok, so I go to bed that night ready to not jump out of bed when Reed cries. I get up at about 2:30 when I woke up thirsty. I got me a drink of water, knowing that I might just fall asleep and Reed will start crying in just a few minutes. So I dose off and when Reed cries a minute later, I look at the clock and it isn't a minute later, it's 5:45am! Sweet! The very night I was going to force him to make it through the night without a feeding, he decides to do it himself!

I cross my fingers for Tuesday night and low and behold, he makes it to 6am. Thursday morning, he didn't wake up till 6:30! It has now been a whole week and every single night, he sleeps all the way through the night. It's crazy how rested I feel! And I get to only do 6 feedings a day, which is also awesome.

My kid continues to be totally awesome! Pictures soon!

3 comments:

jen said...

That is awesome! You must feel like a new woman!

I did the "let them cry" method and it totally worked for me. By 6 or 7 weeks, both of my kids slept through the night and never turned back...it was AMAZING!!

AMY said...

i hope jane "never turns back" because i feel like the past few weeks have been a fluke of sleeping through the night. we'll see. i'm so proud of reed - he is quite the little guy.

Maggie said...

i love it! he sounds like griffin in the weight department. Norah, on the other hand, weighed in at a whopping 12 lbs 3 oz at her 4 month appt! I'm interested to see what she's tipping the scales at for her 6 month appt coming up in a couple weeks. Hard to believe she's almost 6 months old...