Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Lottery

I'm not sure why, but it seems that the TV stations are fascinated by people who win the lottery. I've watched 3 shows in the last couple of weeks about people winning the lottery. One show was about "the curse of the lottery" and showcased people that won and lost it all - in other words, idiots. Another won just displayed all of the crap that people bought. And I wondered, why do these people blow all this money on ridiculous stuff. And the reason I came up with is this - generally people who buy lots of lottery tickets, therefore increasing their chance of winning, are people who are not smart with their money or investments. I would consider myself someone that chooses to put my money is "safer" places like investments, bonds, savings, etc. I find it a waste of money to buy a lottery ticket. Sorry if I've offended anyone who reads my blog that buys lottery tickets. Utah doesn't have a lottery so I guess that helps too.

But no matter how "smart" you are with your money or who you are, everyone, yes I mean you too, dreams about what you would do if you won, let's say 121 million dollars. So because I've watched a couple of these shows and it's a fun game to play, Fogg and I have been dreaming up what we'd do with all that money. And yes, some of these things are ridiculous, but we are talking about fake money, so no holds bar. Here is what I would do with my money if I won the lottery:

  • First and foremost, I would quit my job. (people who say that they would still work if they were set financially are liars)
  • I would go on a great vacation. Probably for a couple of months and I would go to all the places I've always wanted to go - France, Nepal, Italy, Spain, Germany, Scotland. And I'd do it big - nice hotels, nice restaurants, nice rental cars, and I'd definitely fly first class.
  • I'd get two cars - a Dodge Charger (the new one looks so cool to me) and a Land Rover (for the winter driving). I'd probably get myself a nice motorcycle too. And since I'm not working, I'd have time to take the motorcycle class.
  • I'd sell my house and find a house on more property and I'd probably pay to have all the nice things put into it. Now, I wouldn't buy a multimillion dollar home, I'd buy something that is big enough but not too big that I couldn't clean it. And yes, I'd still clean it, I have a control issue with cleaning, I couldn't let anyone else do it. It would be cool to have land to drive dirtbikes and mountain bikes and fun things on it.
  • I'd pay off my parents and my in-laws houses for them (or help them move where they'd want to be instead). And since I have theoretical money here, I'd buy them cars they want if they didn't already have them. And I'd give them enough money that they wouldn't have to work anymore.
  • I'd invest a large chunk so that Reed (and any other of my children) are set for their lives and for their children. Enough money that they could go to college and pursue their dreams.
  • I'd treat my friends to nice dinners and fun things.
  • I'd give money to my church to build more locations and support ministries.
  • I might buy a vacation home somewhere - but I don't know where yet, maybe I'd figure that out while on my travels.
  • I'd go heliskiing in Alaska.
  • I'd get myself a bracelet that I've been eying for 5 years that is $3K.
  • I'd hire a personal trainer to help me get the rest of my baby weight off.
What would you do with money if you won the lottery?

1 comment:

AMY said...

oh man, good game. i would save enough for jane (and any other of our children) to go to any college they get into. i would tear down our house (new one) and build my dream house on the land. not too big but nice stuff inside complete with huge work garage for pete. i would then go on a shopping trip - shoes, clothes, furniture, whatever i wanted. that would be fun