Monday, March 15, 2010

ear infections

My little dude is having an epic battle with ear infections lately. He is either on his third in 8 weeks or has had the same one for 8 weeks. Either way, it's not good. He is on his third round of antibiotics and I feel bad for his little bum bum and the wicked diaper rash he is getting. Is the rash + bleeding + crying for his butt really better than the ear infection? (well, yeah, but it still sucks). He doesn't cry much cause of his ears, pulls them a bit, but overall, he's pretty happy. The diaper rash is nasty and so sad.

Anyway, calling all you parents out there, what do I do? Doc Tony said that if this round doesn't work, then we'll have to start talking about tubes. I want to know your opinions of this. I feel like continuing to pump antibiotics into my kid is going to take a toll and I'd really prefer that he not lose his hearing. But as a parent who now is facing the possibility of my child having to get surgery, I have my concerns. I know this isn't a major surgery and I'm sure millions of babies have done just fine, and frankly, I haven't been very concerned about having to put my child through it until now. Mama bird wants to come out and gather up her little chick so no one can hurt him. I don't have any strong opinions yet either way and would love to know your thoughts if you are someone out there that has one. And as someone that reads people's blogs that I don't know, I figure there maybe someone out there that doesn't know me reading this but wants to say something - please say it!

Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

Jones said...

Hi!
This is Lori Jones. Well first I trust Tony very much. So I would definitely consider his opinion. we went through this with Alex. He did wonderful and it took 15 minutes from start to finish. But we did not have his done until he was older. I think alex was so use to his ears hurting he stopped complaining. So then i would not know when he had one when it was really bad. We also learned he could not hear very well. So i do wish I had done it earlier. His tubes have sense fallen out on their own. In the mean time with the rashes from the antibiotics. Get him on probiotics. Make sure they are not taken at the same time. You can ask Dr. Tony about it. Alex had a very bad rash every time he was on antibiotics and this made a huge difference. I get probiotics at the health food store. I do not mean to tell you what to do but i am also going to add using original desitine and putting it on like you are frosting a cake. Very thick! When you wipe. You do not have to take all the bottom cream off just all the poo. These will help in the mean time.

It is so hard to see you little one hurting. Go with your instincts. You are doing a great Job and you know best!

Hugs!

Seth said...

Liam has tubes . . . the surgery was really easy and quick. he didn't even have to be intibated (totally knocked out) they just gave him a little gas that put him sound asleep! His issue was hearing loss, but I imagine the tubes are well suited to deal with infections. In any case, I would rather deal with the tubes than antibiotics, especially with the nasty side effects. We also use probiotics, and it seems to help with most illnesses as long as we remember to use them. Good Luck, and if you ever want to head to Boise, we have room. It really is too bad that we left just when the boys could handle each other's abuse.