Friday, November 19, 2010

Soapbox

Please allow me a moment to step up on a soapbox and speak my mind. I don't do this often, as I'm usually afraid that I'm going to offend one of few readers. But this I feel cannot be ignored and the frustration has built up so much in me that I have to get it out. This is a subject that I feel strongly about and it needs to be addressed.

I heard in disgust yesterday on the radio about a couple who have started a website that you can go vote if they should keep their 16 week fetus or abort. Say what?!? My mouth literally dropped, my jaw hit my steering wheel (I was driving at the time) and I actually gasped. I was so appalled by this story, I felt sick to my stomach. It was so beyond me that this couple is considering terminating a child that they already know is a boy! Not only that, part of the story indicated that this is a third pregnancy, the first two resulted in a miscarriage. Wouldn't that make this couple, who have been married for 10 years, want to absolutely see this pregnancy through? If you care to read more about this sad excuse for a couple, here is the story.

Ok, please allow me to tear this whole thing apart. Why, why, why in the world would these people even CONSIDER an abortion? Is there a terminal illness with the child? Doesn't appear to be the case (and what would it matter anyway in my opinion). Are they just selfish and irresponsible? Well, it seems to be the case. There is a comment in the story (in the link I posted above) that states that this couple didn't bother to invest in birth control and haven't started planning or purchasing anything for a nursery. Seriously, is that why this couple is doing this? I'm sure part of their reasoning for putting their child on the chopping block is for this very reason - that people are talking about it, and blogging about it, and probably interviewing them and making them famous, even at the expense of this child.

I am so absolutely angry with this entire thing. My first reaction was, should I vote to save this child? I can't just leave it up to the rest of the country, I must contribute my small amount to saving this little boy! But then do I even dignify these people by being involved? Luckily, the article indicates that so far the vote is 78% to 22% in favor of "give birth". The point, this couple says, of this website is to encourage people to take part in voting, a simple human right. Funny, this child may not get that chance... My second thought was, well, if you really don't have money to take care of this child, I will donate baby clothes (got plenty of boy clothes), money or other needs that this family may have. But then, in almost the same breath, I thought that this couple doesn't deserve to keep this child. Absolutely, without a doubt in my mind, this is what needs to happen: This woman needs to be detained and watched for signs that she may abort. She needs to be in custody until she gives birth to her little boy. Then that little boy needs to be immediately removed from that woman's presence and placed with a family that has been longing to take care of a little boy. She does not deserve to feel the joy of holding her newborn child, hearing his first breath and cry, cuddle with his little body. She deserves a much harsher punishment for this consideration. It seems that the country will vote for "give birth" and without a doubt she should not be raising this little boy, think about what other sick things she may come up with during his childhood. Clearly, his best interest is not in her mind from the start, is that really going to change based on a vote on the internet?

As you can tell, I'm furious about this prospect. I want to go to this couple, who live in MN, and give them a piece of my mind. I could post all of this rage that I've posted here on the comments of the story, but figured this was a better venue for my thoughts.

I really, really hope that this couple has read my blog post. If you are, please listen to me - do NOT abort that child. I have a little boy and the world would be a darker place without him. A life is a life when it is conceived and you are considering killing a human being that is far enough along in his development that you even know he's a boy! If for some sick reason this country votes for abortion, I plead you to give birth and I will come get him to make him my own. And if the country does vote this way, I'm moving to another country, cause this is a country I can't live in. Have you heard his heartbeat? Isn't that enough? There are plenty of sickos in this world that decide to hurt, abuse, rape and murder innocent people, including children, don't be one of them.

Thank you for allowing me to post this, it brings me little comfort to let this out, these people are still doing this and it angers me. Stepping off the soapbox now, but please comment and share your thoughts on this if you feel lead. Also, should I vote and participate in this demoralization of the human race? And I hold MY little boy just a little closer today.

6 comments:

aLi said...

Amen, sister. Ridiculous people. I am going to go read this article now.
I love your point about how they should not even be allowed to keep that baby after he is born... hopeless for that baby boy.

Ramona said...

There is always hope, in this crazy world. Praying they keep their son, and he lives to tell his story. If not Jesus holds this child in his precious sight. My heart grieves for this child.

Unknown said...

This was hard to read as I can barely stand to hear anything to do with abortion, especially since having a child of my own. I completely understand your feelings and am angered and apalled by these people. But you can't forget about grace either. I was just reading about Rahab today and how God accepted her out of a debase lifestyle. We've all sinned, none of us deserve anything good, and yet God gives us hope. That woman may not deserve the joy of motherhood, but God, in His mercy, may bless her with it anyway. Pray for them!

Unknown said...

This was hard to read as I can barely stand to hear anything to do with abortion, especially since having a child of my own. I completely understand your feelings and am angered and apalled by these people. But you can't forget about grace either. I was just reading about Rahab today and how God accepted her out of a debase lifestyle. We've all sinned, none of us deserve anything good, and yet God gives us hope. That woman may not deserve the joy of motherhood, but God, in His mercy, may bless her with it anyway. Pray for them!

Marissa said...

I am also praying for this family! Thanks for posting this, so often I want to tune my ears out to this sort of thing and pretend that it doesn't exist, because it is hard to hear. But you have challenged me to remember that we must stand up to injustice!

Rich@richnickeldesign.com said...

Meg - I praise your passion. There is a third, very viable option that is missing in this scenario ---- ADOPTION. There are plenty of people who would gladly take this baby in as their own. People who try for years to have children, or desire more children, etc. Families are created in all different ways. Why not make that suggestion to this couple.