It's become evident in the past few weeks/months that Reed is getting very good at communicating. He can both tell us what he wants, and follow simple instruction. The tricky part is if either of us obey the command... For example: 'dootie' (cookie) doesn't mean I'll actually give him one or 'don't throw that Reed' doesn't mean he doesn't throw it. But I'm confident that he knows what I'm talking about and what I'm asking of him. And at this point, I think that we understand everything he is trying to tell us (with the exception of a word he uses often that we still haven't figured out, it sounds like 'da-dush?', with an emphasis on the question part of it). Here are some stories of our very intelligent young man.
As I was packing up on Friday morning to drive him to daycare and then myself to work, I asked him to go put London in his room and close the door. I started pouring my coffee and he ran off. He came back and said "doggy. door." I went to check and sure enough, London was in his room with the door closed!
I asked Reed to go get a diaper cause I could smell his poops. He came back to me a few minutes later (I was in the kitchen) and I look over to the living room and the wipes and diaper were so nicely displayed in the middle of the room for me to go change him.
We skyped with Auntie April Sunday morning. Reed was in a very good mood. I asked him to bring over the tractor to show April - he did. I asked him to blow her a kiss, he did. Then several times, he would bend over and give her a kiss on her lips - well her lips on the screen. The communication I got from that was that he really does love her and remember her.
He was sucking his thumb while trying to put his cars down the ramp on his play garage. I told him that he didn't have to suck his thumb all the time, that he could take it out of his mouth to play. The scowl that he gave me was priceless, much like his father's scowl, and pretty easy to understand what he was trying to communicate to me.
Want pancakes for breakfast Reed? Both hands high in the air - "YAY!". Easy one.
Tired after skiing? Couldn't tell by the way he was slumped over on me in about 5 minutes.
Don't want your food? "NO!". Empty plate passed to me "more?" he asks. Read another book "book more".
You get the point. I dressed Reed up to try to get a fun picture of him in an old man look complete with tie. He didn't so much like that. Let's look at the progression of pictures below.
1 comment:
Isn't it so much better when you understand each other? i love that about Jane - except for one song she asks me to sing (only in the car) about monkeys. I don't know where she got it from but I sing "10 little monkeys" and she seems satisfied. Maybe reed is saying "toothbrush." that's the best guess I have on his mystery word. we need to hang out again soon :)
Post a Comment