Monday, July 11, 2011

Big Boy Room

Well, I got Reed's Big Boy Room finished on Saturday morning and he wanted to take his first nap in there that afternoon. First, here are the pictures of the room:

His bed and sleeping area.

A cute street rug and a space for him to play. The window seat cushion has a road on it if you can't see, made by Grandma Fogg. She also made him that steering wheel pillow you can see on his bed. I put the hooks low so he can hang up his own robe and towels.

Freshly painted dresser and a bookshelf. I'm sure the shelf will get filled up eventually, I just didn't have much to put there yet. I painted the picture hanging above the bookshelf.

Dresser. I hoped it would look like a toolchest but it really just looks like a red dresser. Oh well, it's a nice size for the room and I didn't have to buy new furniture, only repaint something old. In fact, the only furniture I bought was the bed (a deal at $27 total) and the bookshelves.

I thought a little shelf for books so he can get them out himself was a nice idea. I also put that white board with magnets. He loves it so far.

So after I finished, I asked him if he would like to take a nap in his big boy room or his crib. He wanted to sleep in the new room. I told him that he had to stay in his bed and that if he got out he would have to sleep in his old room. I let him be for about 10 minutes then went to check on him. He had turned on the clock radio, moved the picture to his nightstand and was playing with the magnets. When I walked in, he ran back to the bed and had a sad look on his face like he knew he did wrong. I told him that he needed to get in bed and go to sleep or he would have to go to the crib. He jumped right in bed and that was that. This is him a few minutes later:


That night he wanted to sleep in his room again, we had a few back and forth to the old room to read books and rock in the chair but eventually he ended up in the big boy bed. When I checked on him a half hour later, he was in his bed but wide awake. He wanted to see daddy then me to rock him in the chair again. Then he pointed to his crib and that's where he slept that night. Sunday he took a nap in his big boy bed again and did great - went right to sleep. Sunday night we tried it again and he again, went right to sleep! So he slept the whole night on Sunday night in the big boy bed! I was a little conflicted about it, happy that it was that easy to get him transitioned but a little sad that he really is getting to be a big boy. I worried that he would wake up in the middle of the night confused or scared but he didn't. He got up around 6am and came into our room. I woke up to the sweet voice saying "mom? mommy?". Then he snuggled with me a few minutes before we got up for the day. He did so great! Hopefully it'll continue to be a great transition and he'll keep sleeping in there, not waking up too early or wanting to go back to the crib. I've been told that transitioning the older child to a bed long before the new baby arrives is a good idea so they don't feel "kicked out" of their room. If this continues, he'll be in his new room a full 3 months before the baby comes. That'll give us plenty of time to work out the kinks of a new room.

On Saturday afternoon, Reed saw my camera out from when I was taking pictures of his room. He grabbed it and handed it to me saying "picture. me." Then he took off running around the house. He wanted me to take pictures of him lapping the main floor. Here is his series of 5 laps:

Think he enjoys running? Yeah, it's summer, he doesn't wear clothes - so sue me! Actually, we got him a water table (on clearance no less!) and he was playing with it on the deck and didn't want his clothes wet. He just spent the rest of the afternoon nakey. He's wearing pull-ups cause we are still working on potty training. He does great when he is completely naked but with a pull-up or diaper, he still goes in it. We had one poop in the potty on Saturday morning and he asked when we were in public Sunday to go potty - two good successes. We are still working on it but it's hard for him when we are out and his has a diaper on to remember to ask to go potty. We'll get there!

That's all for the haps right now~

1 comment:

Ramona said...

You do such a great job with decorating. I love the style and it looks perfect.