For about 26 years, I've been wearing glasses or contacts. I remember sitting in my second grade class and squinting to the point that you probably couldn't see my eyeballs anymore at all. The front row just wasn't close enough anymore. I think the call went to my parents when I would walk up to the board to see what was written on it. I actually didn't really mind my first pair of powder pink glasses.
But then it was kinda annoying when I would be playing basket ball and they would get hit. Or I was running and they would bounce on my nose. Or they would break and I was lost to see anything. When I was going into 8th grade, I got my first pair of contacts. I loved not having glasses so much that when I lost one contact, I went around wearing one (and getting pretty dizzy!).
Every single night, I have taken my contacts out. I put my glasses on to go to bed. In the morning, I put my glasses on to walk to the bathroom to put my contacts back in. I would go out and about and tear a contact, and be up a creek. Every time I travel, I had to bring my glasses, solution and an extra pair of contacts just in case.
I've wanted to get LASIK for some time now but my funds and frankly, my resolve, were not there to do it. But a good deal came along and the hubby suggested that it was time. So the appointment was made and glasses were worn and I was getting myself ready to do it.
I was scared out of my brain, and as the time crept closer, I got more anxious about it. Everyone kept telling me "it's so fast", "best decision ever", "it's no big deal at all". Didn't mean anything to me as I thought about how they were going to prop my eye's open and cut them and burn them. I of course went through with it. I spent the entire weekend sleeping, mostly from the stress of the whole thing came down on me. And I still had to do lots of drops and my eyes didn't work amazing yet.
But after a week of taking care of myself, I can see better and better every day, the irritation goes down. I still reach for my glasses in the morning and still feel like I need to take my contacts out every night. I am nervous of every single bump or close call. I'm sure one day, I'll wake up and I won't even think about it, I'll just go on with my day, several hours later realize that I didn't think about it. That is the day that I will be amazing. Until then, I'm still scared.
No more of this!
No comments:
Post a Comment