Wednesday, September 14, 2011

34 Weeks

Yesterday, I had my 34 week appointment as well as an ultrasound. I'm not sure if I've mentioned yet that I have something called a two-vessel cord. This means that I have only one artery and one vein in the cord when typically there should be two arteries. 99% of the time there aren't problems that result from this issue (1 in 100 pregnancies have this) but we are keeping a close eye anyway. Because of this issue, I had another ultrasound to make sure that the baby is growing appropriately, two vessel cord can sometimes mean low birth weight.

So at my ultrasound, they found that the fluid is a tad low. Not threatening yet but close to the level that we keep an eye out. This is a particular concern as a low fluid level can damage the cord (fluid acts as a cushion for the cord). Next week I will do a non-stress test (fetal monitoring to make sure the baby is moving appropriately and I'm not having too many contractions). For how much it's been moving, I don't think this will be too big of a surprise that it's just fine. The following week (36 weeks) I'll have another ultrasound to check the fluid levels again. I've been sent with strict orders to drink lots and lots of fluids to help rebuild the fluid around the baby.

But because of all of this the doctor was saying that more than likely the baby will come earlier than my due date. I shifted my maternity plan at work a week earlier and am taking the remainder of my days off in the next weeks to prepare a bit for the arrival. I got a little panicked about getting things done so a few days off will allow me to rest and check things off the list.

So here are pictures of the belly the past two weeks and a couple of ultrasound pictures of our little rascal.


This is the foot. The bottom of the foot is facing up, the black triangle part there is the ankle.

Profile, you can see the nose and fat lips.

Looking straight forward at the camera, two eye sockets and more fat lips.

Belly at 33 weeks

Belly at 34 weeks

Pregnancy Highlights:

How Far Along: 34 Weeks - 238 days (only about 42 days left!)

Size of baby: ultrasound said the baby was exactly 5 pounds.

Maternity Clothes: starting to tick my way through my maternity clothes (meaning more and more are getting too small!). It's becoming fall around here so luckily I can start wearing some long sleeve shirts I have that still fit. I guess I'm starting to not care as much how I look and more about HOW I feel, so I'm in a lot of yoga pants!

Gender: do I need to answer this again? Anyway, still a big secret but Fogg made the declaration yesterday that he is sure it's a girl. I seriously still have no idea one way or the other!

Movement: the baby is moving a lot and it's getting pretty specific. For the past three days in a row, the baby has been pushing what I'm guessing is a foot/shin really far out at about my belly button. It comes out so far and Fogg and I saw it shocked. In fact another person glancing at my belly saw it yesterday!

Sleep: not going well at all. With a full Unisom pill, I was still getting up 2-5 times a night to go to the bathroom or adjust my position but at least I'd go back to sleep. Now that I'm 34 weeks, I can no longer take the sleep aid (as there can be issues at birth for the baby). I got up several times then was fully awake at 3:45am this morning. And when "sleeping" it's not very restful, I rolled over a million times!

What I miss: sleeping.

Cravings: lately, I've been eating toast with jam on it. Anything that doesn't give me heartburn is a plus.

Symptoms: heartburn, poor sleeping. A HUGE belly.

Best Moment this month: Planning a few final preparations. I love checking things off the list so knowing I get to do all that makes me feel better. Knowing I'm pretty close is both the best and the worst. The time is ticking by quickly and not only do I have a lot to do, I have to prepare for a natural birth mentally and am still trying to appreciate my time alone with Reed. I hope to have a nice date night with my hubby in the next couple of weeks along with other preparations. I'm also looking forward to getting some cool maternity pictures taken in the next couple of weeks.

Well, that's the update for now. Now to lay down for a little bit.

3 comments:

crystalleblanc said...

I'm always amazed at how awesome ultra sounds are these days. Amazing! and you look so cute btw!

Ramona said...

Can't wait to hear if you are having a boy or girl? Hope everything goes really smoothly.

Meg said...

Thanks you two!