The past eight years, I've worked for a company that has grown leaps and bounds, had the opportunity to work with amazing people, learned a lot about ecommerce and the outdoor retail space, interacted with some of the biggest brand names out there and grown a lot professionally. I've seen a lot of growth and a bit of growing pains in those years. Some people came and went quickly, a few I worked with since day one.
About a week and a half ago, I was laid off. It's an understandable step for the company, and for my position to be eliminated. Though it was a sad and confusing day for me, I know everything will be just fine. I've been driving 52 miles each direction for eight years, that in itself was getting old. I was and am certainly ready for a change in my career and direction. I'm excited about new directions and opportunities. I gained so much from bc.com and those times will never be forgotten, but it was time for me to graduate. The last day there felt a little like the last day of school with everyone saying their goodbyes and "stay in touch"s. A lot of hugs and a few tears were had by many but it was a great way to go out, with smiling faces and people just being good people.
We had a little celebration at our local stomp by the office and before the remaining employees joined for drinks, the laid off crew all got together to commiserate.
There are some really good friends in this picture and that is where I will struggle the most, not seeing those friends, not just coworkers, every day. Annie and Anne, who are sitting on either side of me, are dear to my heart and I will sorely miss them. Hud (in the yellow) I met on my first day in the office, strangely enough, 8 years to the day before this picture. Ed on the far left with white glasses and Scott in the green are so funny and I'll miss traveling with them. And to all the people not in this picture, I will miss seeing each day as well.
But the upside to this all is that because the outdoor industry is so small, really, I'll see all of these people again and for years to come in whatever we all move onto next. And because they are my real friends, I will see them outside of work stuff.
I am so thankful for my 8 years at backcountry and for the people the most. bc.com saw me through 8 years of my marriage, two kids, two houses, multiple cars and so much more. I got to travel and meet very important people in the industry.
So Cheers to all and on to new things! I'll keep you updated as to what comes along for me next! For now, it's spending the summer with the kids, catching up on all the stuff I wished I had time for, training for a 10k, catching up with friends, swimming, painting the house and so much more.
Cheers~
Meg
No comments:
Post a Comment