Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Don't touch my fries

I have a thing about my fries. I like fries a lot. I love them in fact. I'm very protective of my fries. I don't share. Always, I order my own fries at a restaurant, often times, it is an extra side dish for me. Fogg knows now to ask if he can have any, and if so, which ones can he eat. It's fairly unacceptable to me to just reach over and take one of my fries. It chaps my *you know what* when someone just takes one. But I'm willing to let it go for just one. But then if you have the audacity to reach over and take another, then, I'm starting to steam a little about it.

Last winter, I was up at Snowbasin working and had my usual lunch - tomato bisque (best in the world if you've never had it) and fries. I have special system with my fry sauce making. If you don't know what fry sauce is, because you must not live in Utah, here is the simple and delicious recipe: one and a half part ketchup, one part mayo, and a splash of BBQ. So I've got my fry sauce going, which at Snowbasin is two packets ketchup, one packet mayo and a little bit of BBQ. I've skillfully made my double batch of fry sauce and have my soup and fries displayed to eat. A friend (obviously not a close enough one to know my fry issue), sits across from me. He reaches over and takes a fry. I don't say anything. He reaches over and takes another fry (while I've got a mouth full of delicious soup, so I couldn't block). Then he reaches over and picks up a fry and dips it in my fry sauce! Never once did he ask if he could have any fries. We are now way too deep into this thing for me to stop him. So I sadly kissed half my fries good bye...

And just last week, I was sitting at my desk at work eating lunch and a coworker walked right up to my desk and took a fry. I didn't even move my body as to make it easier for her to take one. She walked away - again, I just let the one fry go. She walks by again, takes another - and dips it in the fry sauce!

What is it that makes people think it is ok to take someone else's fry? You wouldn't reach over, grab a fork and twirl up some spaghetti now would you? So why is the fry an acceptable item to take without asking? Now, others may not be as peeved about a fry being eaten from right under their nose, but I do not like it.

Consider yourself warned if you encounter me and a plate of fries...

1 comment:

April said...

I love you and this story! I don't know why people think its ok, because you wouldn't do that with chips either. so funny!