Friday, October 23, 2009

Good Luck With That

Probably one of my least favorite sayings ever - Good Luck With That. It's really just mean and frankly, I never have a comeback when someone says that to me.

Person: Meg, are you going to give birth naturally?
Meg: Yes, I'm going to give it a try!
Person: Good luck with that...

Why do people choose to say things like that? Instead, shouldn't the answer be - "good luck, I really hope you can do it, I couldn't..." But people would rather let you know that they really don't wish you luck...

Should the appropriate response be something like "Thanks!" in a super cheery voice and a big smile? Kind of like when you wave at someone that just flipped you off?

1 comment:

Candace said...

As someone who says 'Good luck with that' often, perhaps I can shed some light on the expression. #1. It's usually spoken by a highly sarcastic, cynical person (such as myself). #2. The phrase 'good luck with that' can be traslated to 'you are a stronger woman than I and for that I am going to be sarcastic and cynical because I don't like feeling weak.' #3. People are pricks.