Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A busy weekend

We had a very busy weekend, one thing after another. First, Friday night we had some friends over for dinner and had a great time hanging out. Saturday morning, I went to an exercise class then we headed up to Snowbasin for a little skiing with Reed and to visit Santa.

Each year, we go and visit a ski instructor who looks a lot like Santa and dresses up every year, named Tim. I have a picture of Reed every year with Santa Tim. This year, Reed is really into Santa and was really excited to see him. He completely clammed up though when Tim came near and held him. At least this year he allowed Tim to hold him, last year he was a bit frightened of him. As soon as we walked away, Reed kept talking about 'my Santa'. We haven't pushed the whole Santa thing but he sure does love him. In fact, we've had a lot of discussions with each other and with our friends about how to deal with Santa. We really want Reed to understand the real reason for Christmas - Jesus. But Santa is everywhere so we have to deal with it some how. We decided that we would always be honest with him about Santa and his history which is Saint Nicholas - a real guy who would give toys out at the beginning of December and how he became something that kids believe in but what we are really celebrating is the birth of Christ. I really want him to understand that its about giving, not receiving. We will be giving away some of his toys to needy kids this week. I want him to think about "Christmas" every day during the year, not just in the month of December. Anyway, I still want him to enjoy the events and traditions of Christmas like visiting Santa - especially a skiing Santa!




Later on Saturday, we went to Hazel's birthday party. Hazel has generously given Nora all of her old clothes so I'm set for at least 2 years with cute girl clothes! Hazel's mom, Marit, wanted to hold Nora and immediately Hazel wanted to hold her too. She did great and wanted to hold her a long time.

Later Saturday we went to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party. I'm bummed with didn't take any pictures of the ugly sweaters we had, it was classic and a blast. We were all getting tired by the end of the day and we burned out a little earlier than usual.

Sunday morning we had breakfast then headed to church. After church we went to some friends of ours house. I taught them skiing for the past few years and we have become friends. They bought a beautiful new home in Huntsville and we went to check it out. It was seriously gorgeous and we would love to live there (in our dreams of lots of money anyway...).

Then it was home for a few hours before we went to our friends, the Duran's, for dinner. They have two boys - Ashton (5) and Carden (3 1/2). Reed looks exactly like them and sure does love to play with them. Here they are having their dinner, we thought it was funny how they were all sitting the same way.

We went home to recoup from such a busy weekend! Nora is doing a little better lately with sleeping and general crankiness. I attribute that to the meds she was given and the fact that I've cut out all acidic foods and dairy. Now I'm just hoping that we can work on getting rid of the middle of the night feeding.

Well, off to finalize my Christmas shopping, baking and cleaning!

No comments: