Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011

I can’t believe it’s already time for my annual New Year’s reflections post. I feel like 2011 just began! I still have to stop and remember its 2011 when I’m writing the date on a check, now I have to adjust to writing 12?! In some ways this year absolutely flew by and in others it seems long. This year was full of remarkable events both happy and sad. I enjoy writing this post because it helps me to remember all of the events that make me who I am and shapes the world around me. It also helps me to remember that the world is much bigger than just me and I am forced to stop and appreciate the people, environment and God that make it all possible for me to enjoy. I suppose this annual post has become what most people do for Christmas letters, but I like the finality of the true end of the year to sit back and take time to look around at the past 365 days. Wow, a year is only 365 days? A lot happened in those days, let’s take a look.

Personally, the year was full of many ups and downs. In February, we learned that we were going to welcome our second baby by the end of the year. Obviously, that tops the good list. We were so excited to welcome little Nora a few weeks early in October and know that we had completed our family with a little girl. A huge accomplishment for me was to give birth completely natural – no drugs at all! Unfortunately at the end of the year, my parent’s divorce was finalized. This was a tough thing for me as I certainly didn’t want this to happen but ultimately we were all glad when it was finally done. It was really hard when Fogg lost his job but a huge blessing when he found a new, more rewarding and highly compensated position so quickly. I celebrated my 30th birthday which wasn’t a big deal at the time but I find myself surprised about it every once and awhile. Fogg and I also made it past the 7 year “itch” and celebrated our 7th anniversary in May. We loved showering Reed with love (and lots of toys) for his 2nd birthday only a few days later. We had lots of friends have babies this year or find out that they are pregnant and will be expecting their new little ones in 2012. We attended a wedding or two as well. We mourned losses and divorces with friends. We joined a new church which we feel is a new extended family for us and we love it. Our family and friends continue to be the biggest source of joy for us as we finish up this year.

In the world around us, many huge events happened that helped to shape the world we enter 2012. At the beginning of the year, Japan suffered massive loss with a tsunami that I was gripped to the headlines and pictures. There were earthquakes all over the earth. The Midwest US saw incredible flooding and tornadoes ripped through the south. Snowstorms crushed major cities in the opening of the year yet we are seeing the lowest snow totals this season at Snowbasin on record. Egypt went through a revolution and freed themselves. Libya tried. Osama Bin Laden was finally found and killed. There was a big Royal wedding you might have heard about.

Mostly I’m thankful for what is closest to me – my husband and children. Reed and Nora are my greatest accomplishments. I love to watch Reed grow and learn new things. I love hearing his thoughts start to manifest themselves through his speech and imagination. Nora gives me a chance to appreciate a baby again. With Reed I was so anxious for him to grow up but with her I stop and smell the roses (or sweet little baby smell) more and take advantage of napping with her in my arms rather than feeling like I’m spoiling her. This time flies (as I’m told) so I’m going to do what I can to really enjoy this time even if it’s filled with sleepless nights or frustrating toddler antics. My husband is my true best friend and I enjoy every moment that I get to spend with him. He makes me a better person and keeps me grounded. He guides our family with confidence and wisdom and for that I will be forever thankful.

As I write every year (you can click these years to see what I wrote in 2010 and 2009), I hope to be a better person than I was the year before. I want to be the mother that my children are proud of. I want to be the wife my husband is lucky to have. I want to be the friend that people love to have. I hope to be a productive addition to my family, friends and workplace. Fogg and I have learned a lot in the last year about what kind of parents, friends and children we want to be and will keep each other accountable to being the best people we can possibly be.

Next year for this post, I hope I can boast that I have returned to my pre-pregnancy weight and fitness level. I hope I can tell you about all the great things that Reed and Nora have done. I hope I can tell you about all the new little people that are born to our friends. I hope I don’t have to tell you about a lot of natural or political disasters. I hope I don’t have to tell you about any deaths or divorces. And again, I hope I can tell you about all the things that I'm thankful and grateful for.

Happy New Year to everyone and may your 2012 be filled with many wonderful blessings and accomplishments.

No comments: