Sunday, January 15, 2012

What a day

I had a fantastic Saturday to help me cope with going back to work on Monday. My kiddos and hubby knew just how to help me realize how great my life is and to get over myself. Also thank you for the kind comments on my panicked post, that really helped!

Nora had a great night (more on that later) so I felt nice and rested. Fogg got up and declared it a waffle morning. I gave myself a nice waffle maker (the kind you see at continental breakfasts that flip over) for Christmas. I'm determined to master the ever delicious Belgian waffle that I love so much from my favorite little place in Salt Lake called Bruges. It's authentic waffle and frites - yum. Anywhoo - until I've got that recipe down, I got the quick mix. Fogg whipped up a batch and they were quite delicious. It was about 8 when we decided we were going to kick it in gear and go skiing for the morning. Miraculously, we were out of the house 1/2 hour later. Being on time, actually being early, makes me happy. We got a text from our friends that Mardi was in labor with their second little girl as well. We have our system for hauling lots of gear (a friend called it "packing up the house") into the lodge along with two little kids. We also found the perfect spot to park it for the day, in a large corner near a back door that is right by the kid lift. We got in the lodge and were ready to go skiing by 9. We were also joined by Pete and Amy and their two little ones, Jane and Ben. We also happened to see our friend Katie ski by and told her hubby Doug to come hang out with their little girl Sierra. Nik also came up to get one last ski day in before his year long deployment to Afghanistan. Reed wanted to get on the hill quick so I took him and Pete took Jane up. Reed did simply awesome. I can't even tell you how proud I was of him. He did five runs all "by self" as he says. He stopped and turned and went exactly where he wanted to go. He only fell a couple of times too! At one point I was holding his hand to help him along the flat part and he threw my hand and said "by self!". I LOVE it! He even went over the rollers and by the third time he had figured out how to gauge his speed to get to the top. I even got to take a run with lots of people around to help watch the kiddos.

We headed home after lunch and got Reed down for his nap. Nik came over to have one more goodbye. I fed Nora and she smiled and laughed at me. This was the first time that she really laughed. I LOVED that too! We had a quiet dinner at home then I headed over to a baby shower. Right before I left, we got a text that Mardi had their baby girl! I had a great time at a joint baby shower for two girls at church. However, one of them didn't make it because she went into labor about an hour before the shower! We heard later that she had a baby boy overnight. I got home and easily got Nora down for the night. I also got to read Reed a book before bed.

It was such a great day because I got to spend it with my family, some of my friends and everything just seemed to go smoothly, which doesn't happen much anymore. It was so great to do what I love to do.

Nora has been sleeping so great the past couple of weeks. It took a week or so to get consistent with the overnight sleep but she is a full on sleeper now. We are still working on the daytime naps. I'd like her to do 3 two hour naps but she seems to need to sleep a tad more. She ends up taking about 4 naps during the day ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours. I think that'll work itself out eventually. We are really consistent with the feeding now so that's great. She is usually in bed between 9 and 9:30 and gets up almost always between 7 and 7:30. It's been such a great thing for all of us in the family!

She turned 3 months old on Friday, here are some pictures of her laughing and smiling.




We were running errands the other day and Reed got quiet in the backseat. I notice this:
This is actually the second time he's done this, he will fall asleep with the blanket over his head.

Well, that's it for now, wish me luck on my first week back to work!

1 comment:

Dan and Liz said...

Good luck going back to work! You are amazing for being a working woman and mom of two! You'll do great!