Saturday, October 3, 2009

baby things I've learned

When I was pregnant, I felt the need to have EVERYTHING that you could possibly get for a baby. I needed the sheet sets, washed and put on the crib. I needed educational toys and stuffed animals. I needed a swing and bouncy seat. I queried those around me with children as to what I needed and didn't need. Some people said "you gotta have the boppy!" and some others said "you have to have a wipe warmer!". Some things I got, some things I did not get, some things I was going to wait and see. So from my long history of four months as a mother, here are the things I did end up needing and things I didn't. Now, here is my disclaimer - every baby is different, every parent is different and every situation is different. So don't take what I'm saying as gospel, this is just what I've learned for me.

Things that I definitely needed:
  • a million burp clothes
  • a play mat
  • Shout - for stain removal
  • incline sleep positioner (helps to prevent rolling over and eases your mind)
  • extra set of sheets
  • multiple changing table covers
  • pacifiers (mam are my favorite ones by far, and they are cute)
  • a glider chair
  • lots of blankets (I got lots and didn't think I'd use them and have used every single one)
  • a bottle warmer
  • a walker
  • the pack and play (perfect for main floor sleeping and changing)
Things that turns out I didn't need:
  • a boppy (though I used it when nursing in the middle of the night and few times after, it's not necessary for me)
  • the swing and rocking chair. We've used it but it's not Reed's favorite thing and we could have lived without it.
  • as much butt cream and shampoo as I got (I use it, but I'm sure there will be plenty for the second kid...)
  • baby bjorn - use it sometimes, Fogg likes it better than I do
  • shoes - they are so cute but Reed has never worn them!

Thanks all I can think of now.

Cheers~

2 comments:

Jones said...

so what list does the wrap fall? As a first time mom it was not on my must have list. I liked it and used it but not a must have. BUT when i had #2 and #3 it was on the must have list. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Meg said...

Lori,

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I actually have used it a lot, not much in the last couple of weeks cause Reed is so heavy that my shoulders kill. I actually love that thing and use it often! Thanks!