Sunday, October 4, 2009

The miracle of TV

So I was cleaning yesterday and Reed was being a little needy. I thought that I would try something new - TV. Up until now, we've only ever had on our "adult" shows - news, sit coms, dramas, crime shows, etc. Reed hasn't shown a bit of interest in the box above the fireplace that makes pictures and noises. So I flip to Nick Jr. (my new best friend) and up comes some show called Yo Gabba Gabba. I'm not sure what that means or even what the premise of the show is but it's got these 5 colorful characters and of course songs and kids' voices (along with annoying adult voices with over exaggeration and inflection). Reed stopped in his tracks and stared at that for the full half hour. In fact, just a commercial was on when I turn the channel and he was instantly interested in the commercial because of the colors and noises (again, a child's voice). Then when the show came on, he was hopelessly entertained. He even had "TV coma" as exhibited below:


It was crazy to watch how he was soaking in every moment and every color and every sound. I got a nice 1/2 hour to get some cleaning done and I knew exactly where he was. Sometimes, he would even start dancing his feet and waving his arms when the music was just too much for him to handle - he just had to move!

Also, he was just super happy yesterday, he did two laps around the main floor in his walker. This picture below, I was on my computer and he walked right up to me and started smiling - I couldn't resist taking a picture of his happy demeanor.


One last thing, I just entered Reed into a contest for a Gap photoshoot and if you win, he would be a model and get lots of prizes. And frankly, my kid is the cutest of them all! :) So, please, go to family.go.com/gapcastingcall (I think) and search for mmfogg. It isn't posted at this very moment (Sunday afternoon) but keep checking and vote for Reed!

Cheers~

3 comments:

AMY said...

jane has always been fascinated with tv. she cranes her neck to see it no matter where she is. it helps me watch less tv, which is good. my mother in law is a speech therapist so i have read a few studies on tv and babies - very interesting. i'll tell you about them if you want. reed's little coma face is so adorable.

April said...

I love his little face watching TV. I can't believe how into it it is!

The Snells said...

Delilah LOVES yo gabba gabba and the commercials with moose a moose on nick jr. She squeals when it comes on :)